Choosing between music OR art

I feel creatively passionate about making music AND drawing, and I have two "brands" as ways to silo those activities: Donny Yi George (aka Donnydrawz) and Depth Death.

I think it must stem partly from my parents, my father is a relatively successful artist and my mother was a professional musician for an album or so.

Similarly, I've repeatedly tested as right in the middle of the introversion / extroversion spectrum, my father is literally a monk and my mom likes to get in front of people and sing. They both exhibit some literary tendencies too.

It seems like it would be better if I could find a way to put all my work under one umbrella and focus my marketing efforts, but I don't want to use either existing "brand" for both activities.

Perhaps, the best solution would be to develop a new name that goes equally well in art and music.

The only precedents I can think of are Goldie (though, clearly his music outshines his art, but then again he does acting too) and Kid Acne (though primarily he is known for his art). Tunnidge does drawings, but he is primarily a musician. Grimes, Kim Gordon come close.

GWAR is a band that straddles the art world and music world, wtih their costumes though I think a lot of graphic art like comics is done by others.

Perhaps, becoming successful in any one field is so all encompassing that to become so in both is nearly impossible, a one in a millions like Babe Ruth going both ways or his present day incarnation Shohei Ohtani, a star at both pitching and batting.

There are plently of artists who make music and vice versa, but no one comes to mind that can achieve notoriety in both.

Though, it seems like my best option would be to use an alias that works in music and then also use it in art. Moebius could have been as good a band name as artist name.

Mostly because I don't think my real name is interesting enough??? (However, there are a lot of musicians who use their real names...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

guy

magenta girl

Culture today (work in progress)