Richard Branson and Gary Vee on How to juggle multiple businesses

So I'm reaching a self imposed crunch time for establishing a brand for my art / music. The conclusions I'm reaching is that it is impossible to be successful at both with two different identities. No one has done it before, not saying that I couldn't be the first, but the odds are against me.

The most any one person can do is to do really well at music and bring the art along (or vice versa). One has to be the primary focus. I think because of issues of craft. To be good, to develop craft at a professional level takes a lot of work. And there are multiple roles involved with say being a musician or comic artist already.

For example, most musicians must perform and create music. To do just one or the other is not enough to make a star. For a comic artist, there is writing and drawing. So, maybe I can be a great comic artist and bring my music along. The music wouldn't be enough to stand on its own, but my comics would be and my music would help inform / enrich my art.

Being an artist is also being an entrepreneur, starting a business. So I researched running multiple businesses because I'm having a particularly hard time streamline my activities...

So, here are some tips from Richard Branson:
1. Start Off With Just One Business 
“When you launch your first enterprise, you have to learn so much on the job, and so quickly, that concentrating on one project with a clearly defined purpose is almost invariably the best approach.”
2. Pick Your Projects
“You need to learn when to go forward and when to say no, which can be difficult -- especially if you prefer to say yes, like I do!”
*** Yes, that is ME! I want to do it all. I prefer to say Yes. And I hate saying No, especially to myself.
The Virgin Founder reminisced about how the now defunct Virgin Films almost derailed the Virgin Group. Launched the same year as Virgin Atlantic the project proved too risky to dedicate time and money to when the Group was trying to get Virgin Atlantic off the ground. In the words Kenny Rogers: "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,. Know when to walk away...
3. Be Forward Thinking 
Had Richard Branson not been looking ahead, Virgin would never of happened.
While running his first venture, Student magazine, he had the foresight to see a gap in the market for mail order records. Due to a lack of advertising the magazine went bust, but Virgin Records – an innovate product that disrupted the music industry – kicked off the Virgin brand to become what it is today. 
“It’s important for entrepreneurs to always consider their options and look to the future.”

4. Hire talented staff

“When you’re getting ready to juggle multiple businesses, you should be sure that you have enough hands to catch every ball.” 
Surround yourself with talented people that support your vision; and at the same time keep your ears and eyes open to their opinions, particularly when entering into foreign markets.

**While I'm not in a position to hire much in the way of staff, I can apply this to surrounding myself with talented people. Well, actually, I can hire people on occasion...

5. Choose Your Partnerships 
Once a business grows and a brand gains reputability the offers start to come in from all directions. 
But just because they are there and enticing, doesn’t always make them a good fit for your brand. “If it doesn’t feel right, then it’s best to say no, whatever the financial implications -- both your reputation and bank balance will benefit in the long run.”Know your vision and brand, and choose who you associate with wisely. 
https://www.virgin.com/entrepreneur/richard-branson-how-juggle-multiple-businesses

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

guy

magenta girl

Culture today (work in progress)