The pressure of polish

The drawings I like of mine the most are loose and messy. They have a lot of extra lines, but they capture gesture and emotion.

When I try to create finished artwork, a lot of that life I can't seem to call forth. I believe it's because of the pressure to create something "professional" and polished. It's a false expectation, because that's not how I draw and it's not even what I really like anyways.

This applies generally to me as an artist too. I expect myself to be better than I am, so with a lot of my work I'm like "I can do better than this." Maybe I will be able to do "better" some day, but I really am as good as what I can produce. I guess I need to accept myself as an artist, like accepting myself as a person. Just be myself.

Though, that doesn't mean I won't push myself or learn or study or try new things or incorporate new influences... But I shouldn't get hung up on making it "professional" looking.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

guy

magenta girl

Culture today (work in progress)