That time I went on a decluttering binge and regretted it

Back in my twenties I went through a decluttering binge when I basically got rid of everything I owned. Perhaps I was depressed and did the opposite of how a hoarder deals.

But in my thirties I really regretted it. i really missed a lot of the things I threw away. i wished i still had them. i can still think of old records, art work, photos that are gone now. i probably think about an 11x17 art portfolio i threw away at least a couple times every year.

this time, i'm desiring to go minimal again but hope to approach it in a better way.

i think part of the problem before was that i compulsive and indiscriminate about throwing things away. i just got rid of almost everything. i think i also had to move and couldn't bring much with me, so it was a time enforced decluttering.

i'm probably going to move again and would like to be able to travel lightly. i've been inspired by mario kondo but more recently by fumio sasaki, who wrote "goodbye, things."

i can remember when i first moved into my new place. i had all my stuff in a small storage space and moved in with the bare essentials. it was really nice being in an empty room. i really wanted to keep it that way, but i started accumulating things.

was any of the stuff i accumulated really useful in the end? i'm not sure, but at present it doesn't seem so. i had a dream of becoming a professional comic artist, which i'm still working towards, but it seems less and less attainable or even desirable (at least in the conventional sense).

i built a gaming computer, because i wasn't satisfied with the mobile or gaming on my macbook, but i question the need for video games now. it's a kind of addiction it seems and concomitant time suck.

so, now as i approach minimizing again, i face the regrets of previous minimizing. how am i supposed to think about this to avoid cognitive dissonance. or perhaps i can just live with the trade-offs of minimalism. come to terms with the idea that i will miss the things i throw away, but the benefits will be greater. that i will have new things that i can kind joy in. new experiences, new friends that will occupy my time. i really don't even have much time to spend with my things anyways, so i might as well let them go.

plan

my first goal is to empty out my storage space. that'll save me about $50 / month and really force me to make some tough decisions. this time around, I'm doing it on my terms, with compassion for myself and consciousness during the process.


  • I'll scan or take pictures of things I cherish.
  • I'd like to get to where everything I own can fit on the existing shelving I have in my room.
  • Stretch goal would be to get as minimal as sasaki, to where I could move in 30 minutes, with just a suitcase.
  • sell what I can, like books, the bass amp i never use, the subwoofer i never have a chance to use.

I'd also like to take a step beyond sasaki and be a digital minimalist too. and get rid of a lot of the digital assets I have, including accounts.

what i'd like to keep

at the end of the process, i'd like to end up with only the things that make me the most happy, make me money and that i will use and cherish


  • music instruments - bass, keyboards, interface, drum machine, headphones
  • art materials - pens, brush, ink, markers, acrylic paints
  • essential comics and books
  • computer - scanner, printer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

guy

magenta girl

Culture today (work in progress)